The internet is always riddled with risks of hacking. Despite having a variety of security options, hackers will always find a way round to gain access and thereby pose a big risk to your data and business. When such an incidence happens, it is important to search for ways and means to recover your site. This may include ensuring there is a reliable backup system so that minimal or no amount of data is lost as well as enhancing security measures within the website to rid of such occurrences in the future.
Where to seek restoration services
After a hacking experience, it is important to source reliable restoration services. This will include seeking security experts with appropriate expertise and tools to restore the website. These can be found through the use of search engines on the internet or contacting the WordPress support team. However, it is not always that the services of these specialists can be accessed owing to the fact that they come at a cost. If you have adequate knowledge on WordPress, you can effectively undertake the restoration process yourself.
Why you need to restore after your website has been hacked
Once bitten twice shy. For this reason, maintaining the same website with all the same features will mean that you still stand the risk of being hacked again. This means that you will be losing a lot of information to the hackers and losing out on your business. It is in seeking a better and safe operating platform that you require to make appropriate changes on your website and restore it.
DIY restoration process
The following are simple do it yourself ways to restore your website:
- Zip up the entire remote site files and download them to local.
- Clear the remote root folder and ensure that everything is cleaned.
- Make changes to the FTP, cPanel, email accounts and MySQL passwords.
- Through the use of a reliable antivirus software, make a full scan for any malware and other infectious files. This may entail using different applications for this purpose.
- Search for timthumb.php folder and remove it completely.
- Ensure that your htaccess file has not been tampered with and search for any other htaccess files within your system
- Create a new root folder and unzip the new version of WordPress in the folder.
- Copy and paste the wp-config.php file from the old root folder to the new one.
- Make changes to your BD_PASS and select new security keys.
- Log-in to your new WordPress and change the existing usernames and passwords. In this respect, consider using long tail names that include letters, numbers and symbols. You can also use password generators if the application is available or download it online.
- Install security plug-ins, such as “WordFence” or “BulletProof Security”. Consideration for “limit login attempts” should also be done. This limits the number of attempts that can be done in trying to gain access to the site and discourages hackers in the future.
- Make an installation for “WordPress Security Scan” and remove the generator tag and rename the DB prefix from wp_ to a different one.
- Create a new administrator user. In this regard, avoid using common terms, such as user, admin, system and others that can be guessed with ease.
- Ensure that posts and pages from the previous administrator and users are moved to the new application and after this has been done fully, delete the old ones completely.
- Reinstall all the plug-ins from the dashboard and activate them accordingly.
- Upload your theme to a live server and activate it there. The settings for the themes are available on the Db but in some instances you may be required to reset the menus.
- Check for any harmful content materials on the wp_content/uploads and remove it completely. This is the most preferential location for hackers to store their information. Once cleaned and with the right content left, upload the same to your new application.
- Create and install a reliable backup system specifying the storage location and setting the automated schedules available with the backup application.
Potential Setbacks in undertaking the restoration process
For a successful restoration process, you are required to have in-depth knowledge of WordPress. However, this is a time-consuming process that requires to be followed in detail. Failure to follow the instruction to the letter will not only leave the site open to hacking in future but as well may result in loss of important data or files used in development of the website. It is for this reason that expert assistance is required to ensure it is done successfully.
Maintaining security after restoration
After the restoration process, it is important to ensure that your WordPress site requires has optimum security solutions. This calls for installation of security applications. This is alongside ensuring that you use the services of a reliable hosting company. With so many hosting companies available, it is important to seek those offering the most reliable security options to ensure that your site remains safe at all times. The hosting company should be in a position to offer support services and have the ability to detect any faults that may be on your website which may provide an avenue for hackers.
Like any other criminals, hackers will continue to cause havoc to internet users. As more and better security measures are being put in place, the hackers will continue looking for ways to get through them and gain access to your site. However, once this has happened, it is important to consider the loopholes that made it possible for the hackers to gain access and ensure that during the restoration process all of these are sealed to deter the hackers from getting easy access to your website. Furthermore, the use of professional security experts is an ideal platform from which security resources can be attained to ensure that the site remains safe at all times.